What quotes show that the mother and daughter are alike in "Two Kinds"?

I believe this quote shows how Jing-mei and her mother are alike.  


In fact, in the beginning I was just as excited as my mother, maybe even more so. I pictured this prodigy part of me as many different images, and I tried each one on for size.


This quote shows that both mother and daughter desire the fame and uniqueness of the child prodigy concept.  Jing-mei likes the idea of being great at...

I believe this quote shows how Jing-mei and her mother are alike.  



In fact, in the beginning I was just as excited as my mother, maybe even more so. I pictured this prodigy part of me as many different images, and I tried each one on for size.



This quote shows that both mother and daughter desire the fame and uniqueness of the child prodigy concept.  Jing-mei likes the idea of being great at something in order to show off, and her mother likes the idea of having a daughter than she can show off to the world too.  The similarity is pride.  If Jing-mei winds up being a child prodigy, then both ladies will be proud of that fact.  


Another quote that shows a similarity between the two family members is this next quote.  



The girl staring back at me was angry, powerful. She and I were the same. I had new thoughts, willful thoughts - or rather, thoughts filled with lots of won'ts. I won't let her change me, I promised myself. I won't be what I'm not.



This quote shows Jing-mei's stubbornness.  Jing-mei resolves to undermine every single one of her mother's attempts to make her a prodigy.  For every doomed attempt, Jing-mei's mother resolves to find another way to make her daughter successful.  Jing-mei's mother pushes harder and harder to make her daughter great, and Jing-mei pushes back equally hard.  Both ladies are incredibly stubborn, and their attitudes eventually cause a complete break in the relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...