How would you write five original poems about Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson?

I would first choose the type of poem that I might have a chance at writing.  I'm not a great poet, so I would pick a poetry form that is fairly simple.  For example, I would not be choosing to write Shakespearean sonnets about Chains. I do not think I am capable of writing 14 lines in iambic pentameter with ABABCDCDEFEFGG as the rhyme scheme.  


I would choose something like a haiku.  It's three...

I would first choose the type of poem that I might have a chance at writing.  I'm not a great poet, so I would pick a poetry form that is fairly simple.  For example, I would not be choosing to write Shakespearean sonnets about Chains. I do not think I am capable of writing 14 lines in iambic pentameter with ABABCDCDEFEFGG as the rhyme scheme.  


I would choose something like a haiku.  It's three lines long with a straightforward syllable count per line.  Plus, a haiku doesn't have to rhyme.  


The question states that you need to write five poems about the novel.  I recommend writing acrostic poems because it is an incredibly simple format.  An acrostic is defined as the following:



An acrostic poem uses the letters in a word to begin each line of the poem. All lines of the poem relate to or describe the main topic word. 



There are plenty of words and characters available to use as the acrostic starting place.  I would write one acrostic using Isabel's name.  I would also use Ruth, Lady Seymour, Madam Lockton, and Curzon.  I would consider writing an acrostic using the word "Chains" too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...