Why is Charles Dickens's novel Great Expectations more interesting because it is written in the first person point of view?

A lot of readers prefer novels written in the first person perspective because they believe it is more interesting.  It is an interesting way to write a novel because it allows the author to build greater character development for a single character.  Readers really get to understand the narrating character because everything is from that character's perspective.  We get to see every action made, and we know about every thought that happens.  


Additionally, a...

A lot of readers prefer novels written in the first person perspective because they believe it is more interesting.  It is an interesting way to write a novel because it allows the author to build greater character development for a single character.  Readers really get to understand the narrating character because everything is from that character's perspective.  We get to see every action made, and we know about every thought that happens.  


Additionally, a first person perspective can really draw a reader into the story.  It does this because a reader can't help but project their own body/mind into the narrator's position.  The narrator uses the words "I" and "me" to tell a story.  When this happens, I (me personally) am drawn into that character much more so than if the narrator used "he."  I'm not as invested in a character if I'm not a part of that character.   That is probably why I enjoy first person video games so much.  They make me feel like I am the character and in charge.  


Furthermore, first person narration is interesting because it doesn't explain everything.  There is so much that is unknown.  Because Pip is telling the story, I know his thoughts; however, I can't know another character's thoughts unless he/she speaks them.  There is so much that is hidden from the reader, so I find myself always wondering what a new character's motivations are.  Is this person lying?  Is this person really trying to help Pip?  Things like that can't be known until the other person says something or does something.  A greater sense of tension can be built with first person narration, and that is why I find it a very interesting point of view.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...