What is a direct quote from Fahrenheit 451 that shows Montag's most dominant personality trait? How does this quote reveal an important personality...

In Part Two of the novel entitled "The Sieve and the Sand," Montag visits Faber to seek advice about comprehending the various texts that he has begun to read. When Faber asks Montag why he came here, Montag says,


"Nobody listens any more. I can't talk to the walls because they're yelling at me. I can't talk to my wife; she listens to the walls. I just want someone to hear what I have...

In Part Two of the novel entitled "The Sieve and the Sand," Montag visits Faber to seek advice about comprehending the various texts that he has begun to read. When Faber asks Montag why he came here, Montag says,



"Nobody listens any more. I can't talk to the walls because they're yelling at me. I can't talk to my wife; she listens to the walls. I just want someone to hear what I have to say. And maybe if I talk long enough, it'll make sense. And I want you to teach me to understand what I read" (Bradbury 78).



Montag's quote depicts his most predominant personality trait which his ambitious drive to take control of his own life. Montag is ambitious about changing his present situation and seeks to learn about ways to break free from his meaningless existence. He realizes that what he is doing makes him an enemy of the state, but seeks Faber's literary advice nonetheless. Asking for Faber's help in understanding what he has read and searching for answers also portrays his curiosity. Montag wants to learn how to make sense of literature and the world around him. Montag's ambitious personality is significant to the novel because it is his unending drive to change his present situation that allows him to break from society and become a traveling intellectual. By the end of the novel, Montag gets his wish to be heard as he walks toward the devastated city in hopes of rebuilding a better society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...