Why is the monster treated as an outcast based on his appearance, where he lives, how his creator abandoned him, and how the human beings treat him?

The appearance of Victor’s creation was gruesome. Although the features were human, the monster’s physique was unappealing to his creator. The monster was huge, had yellow skin that barely covered its entire body, and white watery eyes and black lips. The monster’s appearance was going to frighten the people, forcing them to treat him like an outcast.


Beautiful!—Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriance only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same color as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shriveled complexion and straight black lips.



Victor was not impressed with the creation when he animated it. After completing his work, he abandoned his creation. Victor described his creation as a wretched, miserable monster, and because of his ghastly features the first human bond with the creature was broken, rendering him an outcast.



I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room, and continued a long time traversing my bedchamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep.



The monster’s encounter with people was received negatively. In his attempt to initiate interaction with the people he was attacked and forced to escape. His encounter forced him to avoid direct human interaction. He decided to stay out of sight for fear of being attacked.



One of the best of these I entered; but I had hardly placed my foot within the door, before the children shrieked, and one of the women fainted. The whole village was roused; some fled, some attacked me, until, grievously bruised by stones and many other kinds of missile weapons, I escaped to the open country, and fearfully took refuge in a low hovel, quite bare, and making a wretched appearance after the palaces I had beheld in the village.



The monster’s attempt to avoid human interaction forced him to seek shelter in secluded areas where people did not visit. The monster later asked Victor to create a female monster as his companion. He also promised him that they would live far from humans and would avoid contact.



I swear to you, by the earth which I inhabit, and by you that made me, that, with the companion you bestow, I will quit the neighborhood of man, and dwell as it may chance in the most savage of places.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...