What is your opinion of the idea that the expectations of Jing-mei's mother influenced Jing-mei's behavior?

Because this is an opinion question, you can take whatever stance you would like.  The important part of your opinion is to defend why you have that opinion.  


In my opinion, I agree with the statement that the expectations placed on Jing-mei influenced her behavior. I believe that the early expectations of Jing-mei's mother influenced Jing-mei in a very healthy manner.  I do not think that Jing-mei would have tried to be the child...

Because this is an opinion question, you can take whatever stance you would like.  The important part of your opinion is to defend why you have that opinion.  


In my opinion, I agree with the statement that the expectations placed on Jing-mei influenced her behavior.  I believe that the early expectations of Jing-mei's mother influenced Jing-mei in a very healthy manner.  I do not think that Jing-mei would have tried to be the child genius that her mother was encouraging her to be without her mother's prodding.  



In fact, in the beginning I was just as excited as my mother, maybe even more so.



Jing-mei really did try in the beginning too.  Every day the two of them would work together in order to figure out exactly what Jing-mei's genius niche might be.  


Unfortunately, as Suyuan's frustration and disappointment in her daughter grew, Jing-mei's willingness to work hard for her mother faded.  Eventually, Jing-mei got to the point where she just refused to do what her mother asked simply because her mother had asked.  



The girl staring back at me was angry, powerful. She and I were the same. I had new thoughts, willful thoughts - or rather, thoughts filled with lots of won'ts. I won't let her change me, I promised myself. I won't be what I'm not.



The harder Suyuan pushed, the harder Jing-mei pushed back.  The result was a relationship that stayed broken for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...