I need to write a monologue for English about The Crucible, and I'm struggling for ideas. Can anyone give me a character and a point in the play in...

There are many characters that you could choose and create an interesting monologue for.  My recommendation is to write a monologue for Abigail.  I would place the monologue in Act 4.  


In Act 4, the audience is told that Abigail has run away and stolen money from Parris.  


Parris: Excellency, I think they be aboard a ship. Danforth stands agape.My daughter tells me how she heard them speaking of ships last week,...

There are many characters that you could choose and create an interesting monologue for.  My recommendation is to write a monologue for Abigail.  I would place the monologue in Act 4.  


In Act 4, the audience is told that Abigail has run away and stolen money from Parris.  



Parris: Excellency, I think they be aboard a ship. Danforth stands agape. My daughter tells me how she heard them speaking of ships last week, and tonight I discover my--my strongbox is broke into.



I would have the monologue take place before Abigail escapes.  Have her debating with herself whether or not she should leave.  There's a lot that you could explore there.  A part of her would have to want to stay.  She's in love with John Proctor, and guaranteed she is thinking about a way to save his life and still have him for herself without Elizabeth.  She might even fantasize about having John run away with her.  You could have Abigail speak in an angry rant for a bit about how much she despises Elizabeth.  End the monologue with Abigail realizing that her name is completely ruined in Salem, and the only "logical" plan is to steal some money and run away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...