In the story "The Bet," who suffered the most, the banker or the lawyer?

I believe that the lawyer suffered more than the banker.  


I believe that because by the end of his fifteen year sentence, he was no wealthier than he was when he started (financially that is).  Also, at the end of his time, he was disgusted with the rest of humanity.  He basically admitted that he had nothing to look forward to.  


"To prove to you in action how I despise all that you...

I believe that the lawyer suffered more than the banker.  


I believe that because by the end of his fifteen year sentence, he was no wealthier than he was when he started (financially that is).  Also, at the end of his time, he was disgusted with the rest of humanity.  He basically admitted that he had nothing to look forward to.  



"To prove to you in action how I despise all that you live by, I renounce the two millions of which I once dreamed as of paradise and which now I despise. To deprive myself of the right to the money I shall go out from here five hours before the time fixed, and so break the compact. . . ."



Lastly, I feel that the lawyer suffered more than the banker because the lawyer was in solitary confinement for fifteen years.  I like my alone time when I'm out hiking and backpacking, but after a day or two, I start getting stir crazy.  I need to see people.  Solitary confinement is reserved as punishment for hardened criminals that don't behave.  It's used as an interrogation technique as well.  Solitary confinement would be awful for fifteen years.  The banker may have lost his fortune in those fifteen years, but at least he got to live a normal day to day life surrounded by friends and coworkers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are the problems with Uganda's government?

Youth unemployment and corruption are two problems that face the Ugandan government. Modern governments all over the world face many problem...